Environmental Resources & Organizations
- American Farmland Trust - saving American farmland.
- American Forests - helping people improve the environment with trees and forests.
- American Rivers - dedicated to protecting and restoring America's river systems and to fostering a river stewardship ethic.
- American Shore and Beach Preservation Association - brings together the many agencies, interests and individuals concerned with the protection and proper utilization of these lands
- Audubon Society - to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds and other wildlife for the benefit of humanity and the earth's biological diversity.
- Coastal Zones Directory - Yahoo!'s list of conservation organizations concerned with the coastal zone.
- Conservation International - mission is to conserve the Earth's living natural heritage, our global biodiversity, and to demonstrate that human societies are able to live harmoniously with nature.
- Defenders of Wildlife - dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities.
- Environmental Defense - dedicated to protecting the environmental rights of all people and future generations, including clean air, clean water, healthy, nourishing food, and a flourishing ecosystem.
- Environmental Information Centre - Provides environmental information on India, with a goal of improving Environmental Studies and the decision-making process.
- Greenpeace - international organization involved in environmental campaigns throughout the US and the world.
- INFORM, Inc. - focuses on independent examination of business practices, technologies and products that impact the environment, workers and public health.
- Land Trust Alliance - providing communities with the tools, training, and inspiration needed to protect open spaces.
- National Wildlife Federation - focuses its efforts on five core issue areas (Endangered Habitat, Water Quality, Land Stewardship, Wetlands, and Sustainable Communities), and pursues a range of environmental projects within these areas.
- Natural Resources Defense Council - uses law, science, and the support of more than 400,000 members nationwide to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things.
- Rainforest Alliance - dedicated to the conservation of tropical forests for the benefit of the global community.
- Reef Relief - dedicated to Preserving and Protecting Living Coral Reef Ecosystems through local, regional and global efforts.
- Sea Shepherd Conservation Society - involved with the investigation and documentation of violations of international laws, regulations and treaties protecting marine wildlife species.
- Sierra Club - securing respect for the rights of all living things and for the integrity of the natural environment upon which we all depend.
- Surfrider Foundation - dedicated to protecting our oceans, waves and beaches.
- The Nature Conservancy - to preserve plants, animals and natural communities that represent the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive.
- Turner Endangered Species Fund - dedicated to conserving biodiversity by ensuring the persistence of imperiled species and their habitats.
- Wildlife Conservation Society - working to save wildlife and wild lands throughout the world.
- World Wildlife Fund - dedicated to protecting the world's wildlife and wildlands.
- The Council of Environmental Deans and Directors
CEDD is a professional organization comprised of the leaders of environmental programs, schools, and institutes from universities and colleges throughout the United States. Facilitated by the National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE), CEDD works to improve the quality and health of environmental programs by improving the programs themselves and expanding their effectiveness outside of academia.
CEDD provides a vehicle for critical examination of environmental science and environmental studies programs, using the common experiences of the leaders in the field to share and promote successful models.
For more information, please visit the CEDD website at www.ncseonline.org/CEDD/ or contact Dr. David Blockstein at david@CEDD.org.
Conservation Organizations - Students/Youth
- Center for Environmental Citizenship - dedicated to educating, training, and organizing a diverse, national network of young leaders to protect the environment
- Student Environmental Action Coalition - a student and youth run national network of progressive organizations and individuals whose aim is to uproot environmental injustices through action and education.
- YMCA Earth Service Corps - a service-learning program for teens ready to make a difference in their communities.
- Youth for Environmental Sanity (YES!) - through public speaking, summer camps, organizing manuals, the WWW, and a support network for young activists, YES! educates, inspires and empowers the next generation of leaders
- Youth for Environmental Service (YES) - helps to organize youth for environmental service projects, including catch basin stenciling, beach cleanups, tree plantings, an more.
Environment on Campus
- Campus Ecology - dedicated to helping promote and complete campus greening project, enrolling nearly 100 campuses a year, with an established national network of campus activists. A project of National Wildlife Federation.
- EnviroNation - a guide for students, faculty, and administrators in creating a green campus, covering everything from recycling programs to curriculum and careers.
- Second Nature - helping colleges and universities expand their efforts to make environmentally sustainable and just action a foundation of learning and practice.
Professional Organization Directories
- Air Quality - links to professional organizations and trade associations in the air quality field.
- Geophysical - directory of prefessional organizations related to the geophysical sciences
- Scholarly Societies Project - a list of subject categories under which electronic resources of scholarly societies have been grouped. Navigate your way to hoards of environmental societites by choosing the category of interest!
- Air Quality Professionals - home page for the State and Territorial Air Pollution Program Administrators (STAPPA) and Association of Local Air Pollution Control Officials
- American Association for the Advancement of Science - dedicated to the advancement of scientific and technological excellence across all disciplines, and to the public's understanding of science and technology.
- American Geophysical Union - advancing the understanding of Earth and its environment in space and making the results available to the public.
- American Meteorological Society - a scientific and professional organization serving the atmospheric and related sciences.
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers - professional and technical organization of members worldwide interested in engineering knowledge and technology for food and agriculture, associated industries, and related resources
- American Water Works Association - a nonprofit scientific and educational society dedicated to the improvement of drinking water quality and supply.
- Environmental Assessment Association - dedicated to providing information and education in the real estate industry with respect to environmental inspections, testing, and hazardous material removal.
- Interdisciplinary Environmental Association - to bring together all disciplines so that the understanding of environmental issues is enhanced through interdisciplinary communication, and to inform the educated layperson about accomplishments, concerns, and plans for a more sustainable future.
- International Erosion Control Association - provides education, resource information and business opportunities for professionals in the erosion and sediment control industry.
- National Association for Environmental Management - dedicated to advancing the principles and profession of environmental management.
- National Association of Environmental Professionals - dedicated to the advancement of environmental professions; also, for students, a resource for structured career development from student membership to certification as an environmental professional
- National Registry of Environmental Professionals - promotes legal and professional recognition of individuals possessing education, training and experience as environmental managers, engineers, technologists, scientists and technicians
- Society for Ecological Restoration - to promote ecological restoration as a means of sustaining the diversity of life on Earth and reestablishing an ecologically healthy relationship between nature and culture.
- Society of Environmental Journalists - to advance public understanding of critically important environmental issues through more and better environmental journalism.
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry - a professional society providing a forum for the study of environmental issues, management and conservation of natural resources, environmental education, and environmental research and development
- Soil Science Society of America - to advance the discipline and practice of soil science through information about soils in relation to crop production, environmental quality, ecosystem sustainability, bioremediation, waste management and recycling, and wise land use.
- The Academy of Board Certified Environmental Professionals - oversees the Certified Environmental Professional (CEP) credential, which is awarded to qualified individuals in the environmental field.
- The Ecological Society of America - nonprofit organization to stimulate sound ecological research; clarify and communicate the science of ecology; promote the responsible application of ecological knowledge to public issues
- The Society for Conservation Biology - an international professional organization dedicated to promoting the scientific study of the phenomena that affect the maintenance, loss, and restoration of biological diversity.
- Water Environment Federation - the latest technical information on water quality issues, cost-cutting design and implementation strategies, EPA enforcement activities, and time-saving operation techniques
- Weed Science Society of America - promotes the development of weed science and technology
- World Forum for Acoustic Ecology - An international association concerned the social, cultural and ecological effects of sound and noise.